Thread: Debunk-liners
View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2007, 07:27 PM   #251
apathoid

Originally Posted by ZENSMACK89 View Post
Show me where it's claimed they could and did do that. Also if it's true then why did the hijackers bother to turn them off?

Does this guy not know what he's talking about? Compared to you that is.

Commander Ted Muga, BS CE, U.S. Navy (ret) – Retired Pan-Am commercial airline pilot. Aircraft flown: Boeing 707 and 727. Retired Civil Engineer. Retired Naval aviator. Aircraft flown: Grumman E-1 Tracer and E-2 Hawkeye.

"And also in all four planes, if you remember, none of the planes ever switched on their transponder to the hijack code. There's a very, very simple code that you put in if you suspect that your plane is being hijacked. It takes literally just a split-second for you to put your hand down on the center console and flip it over. And not one of the four planes ever transponded a hijack code, which is most, most unusual. ..."

"Spilt-second" is quite an exaggeration. I also don't know what he means by "flipping it over" - it's not a TV remote. There is no "hijack" channel that can be selected by the push of a button.

There are four knobs, two outer knobs and two inner knobs, and in most cases all four knobs would have to be adjusted to broadcast the hijack code. Let's say the transponder was set at 2454. The left outer knob would have to rotated counter-clockwise for 3 "clicks"; the left inner, clockwise 3 clicks; the right outer clockwise 3 clicks; and the right inner counter-clockwise(or clockwise) 4 clicks....

(767 ATC/Transponder panel photo for reference)

If you think that can be done in a "split second" without any errors or fumbling around, when there are knife wielding maniacs hell bent on slitting your throat, well I don't know what else there is to say. Also, you should understand that setting the ATC panel to 7700 wouldn't exactly be the highest thing on the pilot's priority list in the event of a violent takeover attempt.

Last edited by apathoid; 2nd September 2007 at 07:30 PM.
apathoid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top