View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2008, 08:14 PM   #170
Tony Szamboti
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Inelastic buckling occurs for all slenderness ratios under the Euler limit. That's 4.71 * SQRT(E/Fy). Of course extremely stout members won't buckle inelastically, however none of the columns in the upper floors of the WTC were that stout.

Do you have any clue as to what you're talking about? I recommend picking up an AISC Manual of Steel Construction and see exactly how steel is designed these days. We're not in the 1940's, we know how steel fails now. Maybe you should update you knowledge to modern information.
How did I know you would come on.

You used an effective length factor of 1.0 in your letter to Gordon Ross, which is for a pinned connection, when you should have used .5 to .65 for fixed both ends connections for the tower columns. The 1.0 gave you larger slenderness ratios and they still weren't greater than 40. Now you are going to say the tower columns weren't in the short column category and would have been subject to inelastic buckling. The AISC equations you show here and which you used in your paper are conservative for design.

You want to say the tower columns would fail due to buckling. Well how about a test case were an I beam with a slenderness ratio of 20 or lower failed due to inelastic buckling. Do you have any test cases? I have an AISC manual right here. I am familiar with the equations and monograph. You want to go around asking others if they have a clue and you seem to be the one who should be asked that question Mr. Smarty pants.

Last edited by Tony Szamboti; 2nd January 2008 at 08:21 PM.
Tony Szamboti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top