View Single Post
Old 30th June 2008, 10:05 PM   #129
lippard
Student

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
Gah.

In 2007, the Skeptic Society had an entire weekend conference devoted to this topic.

After two full days of watching various scientists for hours and hours show essentially the same set of slides, I left not knowing a damned thing more than I knew when I got there (and I am by no means well-versed on the subject), and bored out of my frickin' skull. I was not alone in this. Not even close.
Your experience was not, however, universal. I very much enjoyed the Skeptics Society "Environmental Wars" conference. I thought it was a good mix of long-term history on climate change (Prothero), current scientific evidence on climate change (Schneider), what to do about it from an economic perspective (Arnold), what doesn't work from a regulatory perspective (Adler), what wild and crazy mitigation techniques might be available and what they'll cost (Benford), and a little debate on politicization of science (Mooney vs. Bailey), and a couple of climate change skeptics who didn't really address any of the science presented during the conference (Crichton and Stossel). It was also a chance to see one of Paul MacCready's last public appearances before he died.

Michael Crichton and John Stossel were no Mike Reiss (Simpsons writer who gave a hilarious talk in 2005), but I still thought they provided entertainment.

It was in 2006, by the way.
lippard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top