View Single Post
Old 4th August 2009, 12:59 AM   #220
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
I'm going with the lawyer here, LashL (and not just because I came to the same conclusion ).

The 26,003 is the number of valid signatures.

The 24,664 is the number of invalid signatures. The "therein" refers back to the petition as a whole, and not the 26,003 number.

Therefore, the total number of signatures submitted was 50,667.
No wonder we're confused. The NYCCAN website says:

"New York City– On Wednesday, several 9/11 victim family members and a survivor took the first step in challenging the City Clerk’s rejection of the NYC CAN petition for a new investigation in New York City. The group filed a Verified Petition/Order to Show Cause with the Supreme Court of the State of New York requesting a review of Board of Election documentation and a ‘special referee’ appointed to re-validate the over 52,000 signatures filed by NYC CAN on June 24th.

The NYC CAN petition was rejected by the City Clerk on Friday, July 24th, a week ago, certifying less than the minimum of 30,000 qualified signatures of electors. This benchmark, according to the Clerk’s office was not met. A ‘qualified elector’ is a registered New York City voter who was eligible to vote in the last election. According to the letter sent by the Clerk to the City Council, the NY Board of Elections validated 26,003 signatures and invalidated 24,664, leaving 1,333 that were not certified."

http://www.nyccan.org/index.php

"Over 52,000 signatures"?

Yet 26,003 validated; 24,664 invalidated, and 1333 not certified adds up to exactly 52,000.

WTF?

Did someone ask where the 70,000 figure came from someone (me?) mentioned earlier?

It's the total of signatories the NYCCAN website claims they have. As of this moment, it's 72,748: