View Single Post
Old 8th November 2017, 11:08 PM   #333
dann
Philosopher

PS Let me help you with this one, Checkmite,

Originally Posted by dann View Post
And I would really like to see your documentation that this is what characterizes an outbreak of mass hysteria (or mass psychogenic illness): "every (!) person who ends up being afflicted, has headaches AND nausea AND vomiting."
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I've been looking through some past cases of what is generally considered to be mass hysteria, and the definitive common factor between all of them is that all of the victims share the exact same symptoms.
(Checkmite’s italics, dann)
Since the task is probably too daunting for you, I’ve taken it upon myself to ‘look through some past cases’, that is, the ones that you mentioned:
Apparently you got most of your examples from this Wikipedia list of notable cases of mass hysteria, but you didn’t even bother to investigate beyond the one-to-six-line descriptions of the cases.

In the case of the The Dancing Plague of 1518, it doesn’t say that ”all of the victims share the exact same symptoms”, but it does say that “some of those affected died of heart attack, stroke, or exhaustion.” Some, Checkmite, obviously not all.
That’s right! It doesn’t say that "every (!) person who ends up being afflicted” dances AND dies AND is buried AND …

This is what you find if you use google’s own link to the case from 1962:
Quote:
Six to eighteen months after it started, the phenomenon died off. The following symptoms were reported on an equally massive scale as the reports of the laughter itself: pain, fainting, flatulence, respiratory problems, rashes, attacks of crying, and random screaming. The Tanganyika Laughter Epidemic
However, you will notice that the Wikipedia article about this case doesn’t claim that ‘every single person who ends up being afflicted laughs AND has pain AND faints AND farts AND has respiratory problems AND has rashes AND cries AND screams.’
Why not?

And if we finally go to the Denno Senshi Porygo case:
Quote:
At this point, viewers started to complain of blurred vision, headaches, dizziness and nausea. Some experienced seizures, blindness, convulsions and loss of consciousness. Japan's Fire Defense Agency reported that a total of 685 viewers – 310 boys and 375 girls – were taken to hospitals by ambulances.[5][9] Although many victims recovered during the ambulance trip, more than 150 of them were admitted to hospitals. Two people remained hospitalized for more than two weeks. Some other people had seizures when parts of the scene were rebroadcast during news reports on the seizures. Only a small fraction of the 685 children treated were diagnosed with photosensitive epilepsy. This phenomenon was later called "Pokémon Shock".
Later studies showed that 5–10% of the viewers had mild symptoms that did not need hospital treatment. Twelve thousand children who did not get sent to hospital by ambulance reported mild symptoms of illness; however, their symptoms more closely resembled mass hysteria than a grand mal seizure. A study following 103 patients over three years after the event found that most of them had no further seizures.
At this point I don’t need to quote you anymore, Checkmite. These cases obviously contradict your claim, they show the exact opposite of what you say they do, and I’m pretty sure that you realize that.
If not, then at least I am absolutely sure that they convince everybody else …
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top