View Single Post
Old 15th September 2019, 10:57 AM   #1015
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I suppose if a white candidate were to brag on stage about dodging a heavy jail sentence because of being white that might get some flak. Not sure if it is comparable. And kellyb makes a good point that Yang might have been poking fun at the blanket nature of the term “Asian”.

From what i know of Yang, his references to being Asian are almost exclusively tongue-in-cheek. I don’t see him using his identify as, for example, a demand that other Asian people vote for him or that people of colour, in general, vote for him. He’s not identitarian in that sense.

The only serious use of his ethnic background that I have seen his use is to point out that his family were immigrants and that they bought into the American dream and were a net benefit to the country, arguing, by extension, that immigration itself is a benefit to the country and not something that should be scapegoated as the cause of problems such as unemployment.
I mostly agree with what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure he's a fan of strong border security, and only having high (new) immigration rates specifically for highly skilled, high income immigrants.