View Single Post
Old 30th July 2010, 11:33 AM   #329
Dymanic
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tinyal View Post
...wanted to answer this one about Chapter 4 'We Agnostics' first, as that particular chapter is one of the worst in the entire book - it's full of misleading information, false & poor analogies, logical falacies, and outright lies.
You may be surprised to hear that I actually agree with that. It is often assumed that those chapters were written by Bill W himself, but that is just as often disputed. Whoever wrote it was clearly not very well versed in either theology or philosophy, because I find most of the arguments laughable, and always have.
Quote:
All to be expected from a narcissistic maniac like Bill (bob was even worse) who knew - they just knew!- it was their way or the highway.
I agree with that as well. What's worse is that there are still plenty of AA members who take the same approach. I find it relatively easy to overlook when it reflects the type of rigidity in thinking that typifies the newly recovering alcoholic, not the least reason being that I've so often seen it appear to work. As an alternative to the chaotic, antisocial existence of the active alcoholic, a formal, regimented approach may be just the ticket. For a while. But I feel sorry for those who never progress beyond that as the years pass by (as well as for those upon whom they attempt to inflict their rigidity). I think the take-home message is that no one person defines what AA is for anyone but himself. The door opens right out onto the street, and there's no telling what sort of maniac may wander in. I've encountered people in AA who were off on all kinds of weird trips; not just religious trips. It hardly seems reasonable to expect anything else, considering the reason for AA existing in the first place. It doesn't have to be an obstacle.
Dymanic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top