View Single Post
Old 30th July 2010, 07:02 PM   #347
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
That might be it then. What I was after.

It isn't much of a religion in my eyes then. For me, what distinguishes a religion is an object of worship -- could be a concept or a supposed being of some sort. In that viewpoint, AA wouldn't be a religion, although it could still be a really creepy, cult-like, and even predatory club. (Could be, not necessarily is.)

I also think the point about religions not brooking the practice of other religions in their midst as a powerful discriminator. One does wonder how the group might react if you started your story with.... "And then I turned my life over to the power of Odin, and by Odin's command, I am able to maintain my sobriety. One day at a time; one day at a time."
Odin or anything could be the higher power - no-one would care.

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
From Wikipedia:

There is little doubt that the A.A. higher power can't be anything other than a supernatural being, specifically, the christian god.
On the contary, anything can be ones higher power; even your cited definitions allow for that. E.g. "no other human being" is singular, the group/fellowship can be, which is the group plural.

I don't get why you guys can't understand, no-one cares what ones higher power is, no-one even wants to know.

btw, I have never seen the term " Follow the dictates of a Higher Power and you will presently live in a new and wonderful world, no matter what your present circumstances!" And I wonder where Wiki got it.

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 30th July 2010 at 07:06 PM.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top