View Single Post
Old 30th July 2010, 08:25 PM   #350
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by A.A.Alfie View Post
On the contary, anything can be ones higher power; even your cited definitions allow for that. E.g. "no other human being" is singular, the group/fellowship can be, which is the group plural.
You are really stretching this. No other human being means just that, no other human being. That rules out every other human being singular or plural.

The higher power can't be an inanimate object as many claim. Inanimate objects don't dictate how you should live nor are they loving and compassionate.

Quote:
I don't get why you guys can't understand, no-one cares what ones higher power is, no-one even wants to know.
12&12 already knows.
Quote:
From great numbers of such experiences, we could predict that the doubter who still claimed that he hadn't got the "spiritual angle," and who still considered his well-loved A.A. group the higher power, would presently love God and call Him by name.
Also from 12&12:

Quote:
Like all the remaining Steps, Step Three calls for affirmative action, for it is only by action that we can cut away the self-will which has always blocked the entry of God -- or, if you like, a Higher Power -- into our lives.
This here specifically says that it is God, or condescendingly, a Higher Power. Notice how both are capitalized?

And I care and want to know. The claim is that the program doesn't work without a higher power and yet, without the higher power, all the A.A. claims are untrue, ie.- People really do have control over their lives and alcohol. People really can kick the habit on their own. Etc.

That higher power thing is important.

Quote:
btw, I have never seen the term " Follow the dictates of a Higher Power and you will presently live in a new and wonderful world, no matter what your present circumstances!" And I wonder where Wiki got it.
Big Book page 100, Working With Others
Is all your life will ever be."

Last edited by qayak; 30th July 2010 at 08:27 PM.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top