View Single Post
Old 30th July 2010, 08:47 PM   #352
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
You are really stretching this. No other human being means just that, no other human being. That rules out every other human being singular or plural.
In your opinion, others think differently and have applied this "stretch" to suit their own needs. Such is the nature of AA - it is completely flexible.
By the way, where is that quote from?

The higher power can't be an inanimate object as many claim. Inanimate objects don't dictate how you should live nor are they loving and compassionate.
Why can't the group or nature be loving or compassionate?
Why can't one be guided by a set of personal values, that for too long have been rubbery?

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking

And I care and want to know. The claim is that the program doesn't work without a higher power and yet, without the higher power, all the A.A. claims are untrue, ie.- People really do have control over their lives and alcohol. People really can kick the habit on their own. Etc.
We have one member contributing to this thread who has rejected religion and a higher power, yet has managed to stay sober for > 20 years. He is the living personification that AA works without a higher power and the program is completely flexible to the individuals needs.

Big Book page 100, Working With Others
Thanks

eta: Those other bb extracts are again, one man's opinions why do you keep rolling them out. They are his story, his experiences, his beliefs? The Big Book is a wonderful tool, but does not have the last word on anyone's recovery.

I and my disease dictate to me how I use the program, no-one and/or nothing else.

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 30th July 2010 at 08:50 PM.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top