View Single Post
Old 30th July 2010, 09:13 PM   #355
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by A.A.Alfie View Post
In your opinion, others think differently and have applied this "stretch" to suit their own needs. Such is the nature of AA - it is completely flexible.
By the way, where is that quote from?
From the book 12 Steps and 12 Traditions on the A.A. site.

Quote:
Why can't the group or nature be loving or compassionate?
Let's disregard the group because we dispute whether they can be a higher power but nature can't be because nature can't dictate how you live your life and nature is not loving and caring, it doesn't care who, or what, lives or dies.

Quote:
Why can't one be guided by a set of personal values, that for too long have been rubbery?
That's my question? Why does a higher power have to dictate? It's A.A. that says you are powerless not me.

Quote:
The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking
Well, not really. You have to believe in the twelve step program as set down by the founder of A.A. Otherwise, you would be free to go in and contradict everything they say with evidence.

Quote:
We have one member contributing to this thread who has rejected religion and a higher power, yet has managed to stay sober for > 20 years. He is the living personification that AA works without a higher power and the program is completely flexible to the individuals needs.
That's one way to spin it. It just might be that A.A. doesn't work and he quit drinking by himself without any help. Millions do.

Also, A.A. says the program doesn't work without a higher power. Apparently they are wrong.

Quote:
I and my disease dictate to me how I use the program, no-one and/or nothing else.
Glad to hear it and I am not trying to take anything away from you. In fact, I am trying to say that the credit for any success you have is yours. You do the work, you go through the rough patches and you ultimately succeed or fail. You pay the price for the slips and you should get the credit for the successes.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top