View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2017, 02:02 AM   #23
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
If people have freedom and the free will to choose their religion then it follows they have the right to choose systems of belief some of us might not see as proper or even fair.

Individuals are also free to reject previous beliefs and move on to new ways of thinking and believing which might be even more strange to the mainstream.

But either way, I think, it's none of the state's business.

What I find hypocritical (and so pointed out in the OP) are the freemen on the land who claim the state has no authority over non-consenting individuals and then sit on their hands while the province of Quebec tramples the religious liberties Muslim women. Women who never once gave the province the authority to prescribe religious practices.

If you visit Rob Menard's Facebook page and scroll down you can be treated to Bobby and his freemen buddies parroting alt. right BS about preserving Canadian culture and heaping grade school insults on Muslim women.

They are hypocrites, pure and simple.
I think if Muslim women want to wear them then that's fine.

I think there has to be protections though for people who find themselves at the arse end of a bad ideology.

Ordinary working people in the UK have fought and died for centuries for their basic rights. here

The right for an individual to not be forced to wear a Niqab, Hibab or Jibab is just as important for their right to wear one. It is a difficult subject that has no easy answers but individuals must be protected against bad ideological doctrines that takes away from their individual freedoms, and much of the current left I think miss this point due to miss appropriated political correctness with accusing cries of racism. What is worse is the right wing thugs that push the issue but for all the wrong reasons (by wanting to take away freedoms rather than give them) which just muddies the water and makes rational dialog all the more difficult.

I'm pretty left wing. But I am also an Atheist and a secularist and want to ensure the state I live in is kept apart from religious tentacles that want to keep imposing their values on the rest of us. I support anyone's right to be a Muslim a Christian or anything else, but I also support their right not to be, or to be an ex-Muslim or a Muslim who wants to wear whatever they damn well please.

Last edited by BadBoy; 2nd November 2017 at 02:08 AM.
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top