View Single Post
Old 17th March 2013, 07:30 AM   #88
calebprime
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
This morning I learned a little technical detail about Logic (my music sequencing software) that will probably change my working life.

The third point is that I've learned that when you have a technical question with Logic, it's nearly useless to read the manual.* It's much better, generally, to Google the question, get some clues from other users.

* The manual is over 1600 pages, for starters.

--------------------

Today I learned that polyphonic aftertouch code in Logic can be mapped to fine-tuning of pitch in the Logic EXS24 sampler instruments (the meat-and-potato instrument of Logic.)

...Snip

Unfounded optimism.

Get this. The Logic sequencer has polyphonic aftertouch. The sampler instruments, however, don't react POLYPHONICALLY to polyphonic aftertouch. So it has the same effect as channel pressure.

So why call it polyphonic aftertouch? Maybe it actually does something, maybe it doesn't. But I can't use it for microtones.

The manual I saw quoted online says that the sampler instruments react to polyphonic aftertouch. They simply neglected to mention that it's polyphonic IN NAME ONLY.

You ***** and ******* and ******** !!!!

This is why, Logic, you are the Target Superstores of sequencers. You have ten zillion features, all shoddily put together. I hate you, Logic. Bells and Whistles. Not built with a certain kind of pro in mind -- the old pro, such as a Frank Zappa, a Wendy Carlos, or more humbly, a Calebprime.

Logic: Built half-way, to impress, but it doesn't really work like they claim.

There may be other workarounds, but boy, this game of finding weird workarounds in mass-produced gear is getting tired for me, after all these years.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'd really, really like to be wrong, but there's no one to ask.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top