View Single Post
Old 26th April 2013, 07:50 AM   #106
calebprime
Penultimate Amazing

p/0/0:...............A..G..Bb.F..Db.Ab.B..Eb.D..C..E.. F# ri/10/1:.............C..E..D..Db.F..Ab.Eb.B..F#.A..G..Bb
ri/0/5:..............G..Bb.F..Db.Ab.B..A..C..D..F#.E..E b

ri/10/1:.............C..E..D..Db.F..Ab.Eb.B..F#.A..G..Bb
p/0/0:...............A..G..Bb.F..Db.Ab.B..Eb.D..C..E.. F#

ri/10/1:.............C..E..D..Db.F..Ab.Eb.B..F#.A..G..Bb
p/0/0:...............A..G..Bb.F..Db.Ab.B..Eb.D..C..E.. F#

(Some weird automatic forum formatting going on that I can't seem to work around, here, at the end of the lines.)

At my age, I'm happy enough to try to use the same old devices in new combinations. The pieces that result will be different enough. I'm happy enough to just keep on going.

How can I use the different things that I know? Make them work together? Have them play off each other in different episodes?

The last piece I wrote drew the comment from a microtonalist on a Yahoo list that it sounded rather like 12-tone tuning, with familiar scales. This is a mildly critical comment. I had to admit that it was partly true. It's a list for microtonal music.

I wish there were a composer's forum for the music I'm writing, which is neither intended to be shockingly original or new, nor to conform to someone else's agenda. It's not intended to be about microtonality any more than it is about any other single thing.

I'd like to write for a group of people, but without any politics or group dymanics involved. There's only one person who knows what I can and cannot do, what I need to work on, what I can reasonably expect to accomplish: me.

I'm still hoping to have a microtonal sound in parts of my pieces, but I do rely on 12-tone thinking and techniques. That, simply, is what I do. There's no point in throwing out the stuff I know at this time in my life only because it would elicit praise from a few people because it coincides with their agenda.

Still, ultimately I want praise for the right reasons: Because I did the best I could, and that was good enough, and the result made sense.

Too bad there's no sky daddy.

Instead, there's the example of other artists -- from Gerhard Richter to John Coltrane to...anybody.

Last edited by calebprime; 26th April 2013 at 07:52 AM.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top