View Single Post
Old 9th November 2019, 07:53 AM   #22
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
What's the over-under until this person is outed? It wouldn't be illegal like exposing the whistleblower.
Heck, I don't see that it would be troubling morally to out him either. I genuinely think that if he sees the president as so incompetent and dangerous, he would do more good to resign and go public with his concerns. It would also be the honorable thing to do, rather than to publicly support the administration while anonymously trashing it.

I'm not saying it would necessarily be virtuous to out him. The reason would certainly matter, for instance. But I don't know that I'd think he has any sort of right to remain anonymous. (He has a right to not divulge his name, of course, I just mean that he doesn't have a right to demand others keep silent as well.)

I agree that he's likely to be outed at some point, though I don't know how soon. I'd reckon that baseless speculation on the internet will be the first step, assuming that isn't already the case.

Speaking of baseless speculation, I guess I'm reckoning he isn't a household name yet. He's a senior official according to the Times, but I don't think it's an official often discussed.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top