View Single Post
Old 11th May 2019, 12:22 PM   #1682
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
The drive is not fine, it is impossible, Petone Palmerston North and back to Petone.
It's not just possible, but beatable. The guy who organised the non-starter of the Lundy Three Hundy has, I have, and I know other people who have. Excellent road, with parts you can do 200 kmh. Heck, I drove from Auckland to Wellington averaging over 60 mph, and that was before Hamilton's bypass was built, in a bloody Morris 1800.

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
The allegation I was referring to was the one with the 2 hours 51 minutes time window, which is so impossible as to be ludicrous. I don't think The Atheist could do that.
I have to be highly amused at someone sitting thousands of kilometres away, discussing a road they've never seen, let alone driven, is offering an opinion on what's possible on it.

It's one of the very fastest routes in the country, with enormous straights for a good portion of the way that can comfortably be driven at 200 kph or more.

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it also winter when this happened? I don't know how bad roads in New Zealand get in winter, but here in Canada winter driving can be a lot different than summer.
Not an issue - no ice anywhere near that part of the country.