View Single Post
Old 12th May 2019, 07:03 PM   #1691
Fixit
Scholar

Originally Posted by Hard Cheese View Post
Isn't that law just a specific restatement of defamation laws in general though? If I make an allegation against anyone, they're free to sue me for defamation and it's up to me to prove what I said is true. I wouldn't think calling a judge a liar was specific or defamatory enough - everyone lies at sometime in their life, so you could argue that a reasonable person would find that the accusation was probably true in the general sense.
'general sense' perhaps but that is not what Samson claims, he is very specific and accuses the Chief Justice of being a liar because he does not agree with various statements. And there you have it, a Chief Justice may well be wrong but not be lying. Samson wouldn't stand a chance and that he's chosen a 'backwater blog' or similar as someone described it earlier, might not convince a Jury that he didn't do that deliberately to have the opportunity to defame a person at length confident that he or she would not be detected.
Fixit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top