View Single Post
Old 6th November 2012, 07:24 AM   #23
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Call me a 'Cultural Apologist', but that's their way. I don't have to like it or agree with it, but that doesn't give me any right to interfere. They will be punished accordingly if they have contravened their laws.

Well, the fact that the parents are currently facing murder charges for the crime would indicate to me that the government of Pakistan, and probably most Pakistanis don't think there is anything acceptable about this act. This more recent atticle at least discusses the motives, if only in the most superficial manner;

Quote:
"There was a boy who came by on a motorcycle. She (Anusha) turned to look at him twice. I told her before not to do that, it's wrong. People talk about us because our older daughter was the same way," he said...

The couple say that an older daughter had already disgraced the family and they did not want to be dishonoured again. ...
What the article doesn't discuss, sadly, is what the consequences of family dishonor are in that region. If we want to see the end of honor killings (and I think we should all want that, cultural relativism aside), we should begin by addressing the repercussions of "dishonor".

When I was a kid, it was completely normal to disown one's child if they were openly homosexual, all because of the same sort of bizarre code of family honor. The difference between that and this crime is one of degree.

Last edited by joesixpack; 6th November 2012 at 07:28 AM.
joesixpack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top