View Single Post
Old 6th November 2012, 09:07 AM   #26
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
I mostly agree, but maintain it's not for us to interfere. However, I DO disgree with the death penalty for those who commit honour killings; they should be allowed to live. Well - for as long as someone CAN live after having all their limbs surgically removed (without anesthetic), and being thrown back into the local community unsupported by welfare.
I know this wasn't your argument, but I want to use that bolded part as an example of the different economic atmosphere and material conditions from which this culture emerges. The fact that there is no social welfare in the community is the reason why the economic ramifications of family dishonor are so extreme. People in these remote areas live a hairs breadth from destitution, and the consequences of destitution are usually a short journey to the grave. In a society where the competition for resources has such high stakes, social status becomes a matter of life and death.

You should note that in regions of the world where poverty is more crushing, the family unit is much stronger than here in the developed world. There's a reason for that. The family unit is a safer economic entity than a single person.

Quote:
It indicates there is a law against it, yes. Although I wasn't speaking specifically about Pakistan - one of the examples above shows a woman was given a mere two year prison sentence for slitting her daughter's wrists and bludgeoning her to death after she became pregant as a result of being raped by her brothers. Maybe it is an isolated example of a lenient sentence, but the sentence does suggest that Honour Killings aren't taken very seriously in the Middle East/Indian regions. The fact that it happens often shows that it is something to be considered by these people when family honour is at stake.
The mere fact that this is quite uncommon leads me to think that it's not considered "acceptable" by the public at large. Judging the level of acceptability by the sentencing of high profile cases is probably not the best method, either. I'm not saying that acceptance of this kind of crime is as low as it is in the west (because I don't think it is), but I don't think it could be described as "not taken very seriously".

You and I certainly agree that these crimes take place in a much different cultural milieu, and I think we both agree that they should be examined in that light. I'm just quibbling.