View Single Post
Old 6th November 2012, 09:55 AM   #35
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Honor killing happens in all society where honor is put above other values, like life.
it is abhorrent, but a lot of stuff we find abhorrent, are still being done. Like witch hunting and burning of kids in Africa , and i apss many other vomit inducing stuff from all culture, none exempt.

Also in case anybody is still mistaken about thinking this is an islam thingy :

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/us...in-brazil.html

For those not wanting to read: that's brazil and the date is 1991.
"Brazil's Supreme Court has ruled that a man can no longer kill his wife and win acquittal on the ground of "legitimate defense of honor."" Emphasis mine.

ETA:
"Although never part of the legal code of Brazil, the "defense of honor" strategy has been used by lawyers to win acquittals in thousands of cases of men on trial for murdering their wives. According to a study in Sao Paulo State for the period 1980-81, 722 men claimed defense of their honor as justification for killing women accused of adultery."

In addition there were honor killing among italian, says my mother, through not only of kids in love with the wrong persons, also for other stupid stuff.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top