View Single Post
Old 4th November 2019, 10:05 AM   #124
xjx388

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
You keep going on about car insurance. I'm 57 live in the UK and have never learned to drive and therefore never owned a car or driven a car or paid insurance on a car. At 57 I am now going to the doctor more, need more medicines, need more help. I can't decide not to do that if I want to live. I pay a little more in taxes, I pay nothing for health insurance outside my general taxation and I'm damn sure I am better off in medical terms than your average USA citizen.
I am speaking from a USA perspective and auto insurance is an example of what insurance is supposed to be.

I don’t know how much “better off” you are than the average American. What can be said for sure is that the UK system provides similar outcomes in most measures compared to the US and the UK is able to run it cheaper. I have no quarrel with that.

Where I think the US will have problems is in converting to an NHS style single payer because of how entrenched the current system is and how different the socioeconomics are between the two countries. I think the US needs to find it’s own way that takes the best from other plans and innovates something new.