View Single Post
Old 4th November 2019, 12:15 PM   #135
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I am speaking from a USA perspective and auto insurance is an example of what insurance is supposed to be.

I don’t know how much “better off” you are than the average American. What can be said for sure is that the UK system provides similar outcomes in most measures compared to the US and the UK is able to run it cheaper. I have no quarrel with that.

Where I think the US will have problems is in converting to an NHS style single payer because of how entrenched the current system is and how different the socioeconomics are between the two countries. I think the US needs to find it’s own way that takes the best from other plans and innovates something new.
There are examples of myriad of different universal healthcare schemes, what they all have in common is cheaper and more people covered. The USA is in one way in an enviable position in that it has decades of emperical data to draw on to determine the best system. It needs no hypotheticals, no trials no further research, it simply needs the will to change.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top