View Single Post
Old 5th January 2019, 09:51 PM   #36
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
I didn't see that in the OP article. Was there another one you had in mind?

I don't doubt that there were men who were outraged and all the crappy stuff that follows from that (hateful rhetoric, violence, etc.) but I'd be shocked if it was exclusively men - after all, it's not like cultural practices and tradition are endorsed and controlled solely by men.
I suppose it was a big mistake on my part believing people in this forum had a clue about such a major current event. Now I see either neither story was on CNN or no one who watches mainstream news has yet found their way to this thread.

Guardian: Protests break out in India after two women enter temple - Court ruling allows women to offer prayers in temple in Kerala after centuries-long ban
Quote:
Protests have broken out in the Indian state of Kerala, where groups of angry traditionalists waving black flags blocked traffic and staged demonstrations outside government offices to oppose the entry of two women into a Hindu temple.

Police used teargas and water cannon to disperse the protesters outside government buildings in the state capital of Thiruvananthapuram, according to local news channels. The police intervened after clashes between Bharatiya Janata party and Communist party workers.

The BJP, which rules India, opposes the entry of women into the Sabarimala temple in the southern state. The Communists, who rule Kerala, support the right of women to pray at the temple.
Atheists are always to blame:
Quote:
The BJP’s head in Kerala, PS Sreedharan Pillai, called the visit “a conspiracy by the atheist rulers to destroy the Hindu temples”. Speaking to local television news channels, he said: “Let all the devotees come forward and protest this.”...

For three months, Kerala has been the scene of an angry showdown between Hindu traditionalists and supporters of the supreme court ruling that women of all ages must be allowed to enter the temple. ...

On Tuesday, hundreds of thousands of women in Kerala formed a human chain 380 miles (610km) long across the length of the state to demonstrate their support for gender equality. The “women’s wall” rally was backed by the government.
I saw the riots covered on France24 (the TV news I have left (Comcast cancelled my RT news). But I only saw the wall of women online.

It's amazing what stories fail to be covered on the MSN.

I also get DW: Mass arrests in India amid protests over women entering forbidden Hindu temple
Police have detained hundreds in India's Kerala state as Hindu hardliners tried to shut down businesses in protest over the Sabarimala Temple. Meanwhile, another woman entered the shrine of the celibate god Ayyappa.

Hardliners are men though I believe there is one woman in one of those photos.

Hindu hardliners step up campaign to block Indian temple to women
Quote:
Hindu hardliners step up campaign to block Indian temple to women
This is a huge deal in India as evidenced by how many people are involved in this event.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 5th January 2019 at 09:53 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top