View Single Post
Old 21st November 2012, 12:07 PM   #35
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
The following idea is not yet practical and merely a fantasy of mine,

Every five years or so people would have to come to the DMV and take a test to make sure they still have the skills and abilities to safely drive on public roads. Rather than have them drive around town with an inspector in the passenger seat, all drivers would be placed in a simulator - one of those good ones with screens on the sides and back as well as in front. The first situation would involve driving on a divided highway. If someone slows down to look at an accident on the other side, then the person fails. If someone stops on railroad tracks, the person fails. If someone tries to beat a crossing signal, the person fails. If someones drive 40 mph through a school zone, the person fails.

ETA: Also, let the people take their cell phones into the testing area - then call or text them.
I like it.

I'd add tailgating, failing to use turn signals (they aren't just there for festiveness!), as well as slowing down while trying to merge into Interstate traffic (going 35mph does NOT make it easier to enter 70mph traffic!).
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top