View Single Post
Old 12th May 2022, 01:46 PM   #13
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Measuring uranium isotope ratios via mass spectrometry

Here is a link to another story on this subject.

"Sarin is a toxic man-made nerve agent, first developed as a pesticide, that has been used in chemical warfare; its production was banned in 1997. When people are exposed to either the liquid or gas form, sarin enters the body through the skin or breathing and attacks the nervous system. High-level sarin often results in death, but studies on survivors have revealed that lower-level sarin exposure can lead to long-term impairment of brain function. The U.S. military has confirmed that chemical agents, including sarin, were detected in Iraq during the Gulf War. In particular, satellite imagery documented a large debris cloud rising from an Iraqi chemical weapons storage site bombed by U.S. and coalition aircraft and transiting over U.S. ground troop positions where it set off thousands of nerve gas alarms and was confirmed to contain sarin."

From Dr. Haley's 2022 paper: "Two methods of mass spectrometry have been used to detect DU in human urine samples: lower precision sector-field mass spectrometry (SF-ICP-MS) has been used to differentiate DU from NU in Gulf War veterans at 238U/235U ratios above 166; whereas, higher precision multi-collector mass spectrometry (MC-ICP-MS) applied to chemically purified U can detect DU at 238U/235U ratios as low as 140." Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry is only somewhat familiar to me, but this link might be helpful in getting the essence of it. IIUC this paper rules out depleted uranium (DU) as a possible cause of Gulf War Syndrome
EDT
I just found a 2018 review article on paraoxonase. "Robust studies are required to clarify the clinical relevance of PON1." This story just keeps getting more complex.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 12th May 2022 at 01:57 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top