View Single Post
Old 18th September 2019, 09:46 AM   #51
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Iím pretty sure MacOS is nothing to do with Linux, nor is it just a window manager. Itís a UNIX system, originally BSD based.
That matches my recollection, too. It could be said that MacOS is a GUI for UNIX. "Window manager" is pretty much an X Window concept, and most Linux GUI's are still based on X. I think a pretty good case could be made that the MacOS GUI is better than X.

Back in the dark ages, I used a DG Unix server using Motiff as the window manager. I actually liked it. It was pretty basic, with just a menu to launch programs that popped up with a right or middle (I forget which) mouse click. The menu was configured by editing a text file in your home directory, and it was simple to add programs to it, as long as you knew the directory path to the program. A lot of the more recent Linux "Desktop environments" I've used have way too many bells and whistles, and make configuring launch menus or desktop icons way more difficult than it should be.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top