View Single Post
Old 26th January 2017, 09:48 AM   #373
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
If you were without healthcare for the whole year, it is a fairly straightforward calculation.

You either are charged 2.5% of your AGI ($1200 for a person with an AGI of $48000) up to the value of the average bronze plan.
OR you are charged on a per person basis - $695 per adult and $347.50 for each child not to exceed $2085.

You get charged whichever value is higher. So based on this person's income, the absolute worst case scenario is $2085.

If you were only without healthcare for part of the year, you take that value and multiply it by X/12 where X is the number of months you were without insurance (granted it gets a bit more complicated if different people in the household were without insurance for different periods of time).
Oh I understand the calculation - I don't need it explained to me

The majority of people, however, aren't really all that good at max, and nested max/min functions are often confusing to a large number of people.