View Single Post
Old 26th January 2017, 09:56 AM   #375
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Health is like education: the rising water lifts all boats and pays dividends in excess of the original investment. This makes is a good model for a public service, which most countries have figured out.
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Roads: You benefit from roads even if you don't personally drive. Without them, you couldn't get supplies to your home. Roads are essential for modern life and, as part of infrastructure is one of the primary roles of the government.

Schools: I'm with you on that. I think education should be privatized. Eliminate the property tax levies for school and let people spend that money for their own kid's education as they see fit. Government should have as little to do with education as possible because they aren't particularly good at it.

Police: Security is one of the primary roles of the government. We all benefit from a ready and able police force regardless if you personally ever use them or not.

None of these are a good comparison to health care. The need for health care is largely dictated by lifestyle choices and thus is highly personalized. You should pay for your own risks. I could get behind government funding of broad public health initiatives: immunizations, infectious disease control, etc. But it really has no place trying to dictate a cookie cutter approach to health care.
Funny how someone who benefits form public health care being widely available is better able to see that benefit than you are.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top