View Single Post
Old 24th February 2021, 09:25 PM   #99
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
See my last post, I'll let you catch up. And it wasn't recent. The source of SARS was discovered more than a decade ago.
More than a decade ago?

What do you think 13 in RaTG13 stands for? It is the year the sample was collected - 2013.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm pretty sure your source did not say "share almost all of the genetic make-up of SARS Cov2" or if it did it's not a legit source.

But yeah, why did it happen in Wuhan if it could have happened anywhere?
If you say so...

Link

Here is a BBC write-up of the discovery:

Quote:
Scientists say coronaviruses related to Sars-CoV-2 may be circulating in bats across many parts of Asia.

They have discovered a virus that is a close match to the virus that causes Covid-19 in bats at a wildlife sanctuary in eastern Thailand.

And they predict that similar coronaviruses may be present in bats across many Asian nations and regions.

The discovery extends the area in which related viruses have been found to a distance of 4,800km (2,983 miles).

And it gives clues to how Covid-19 might have emerged.

The researchers said sampling was limited, but they were confident that coronaviruses "with a high degree of genetic relatedness to Sars-CoV-2 are widely present in bats across many nations and regions in Asia".

The area includes Japan, China and Thailand, the researchers said in a report published in Nature Communications.

The virus, named RacCS203, is a close match to the genetic code of Sars-CoV-2 (with 91.5% similarity in their genomes).

It is also closely related to another coronavirus - called RmYN02 - which is found in bats in Yunnan, China (with 93.6% similarity to the genome of Sars-CoV-2).
Link