View Single Post
Old 21st January 2005, 07:29 AM   #28
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

If I had proof that God existed tomorrow, I would acknowledge Him/Her/It.

Whether or not I "submit to God's will" would depend entirely upon what kind of ...person/god/being God is. Ultimately, I am a moral being* and responsible for my own conduct. If "submitting to God's will" requires me to do something that is against my own conscious, then I would not submit. If, however, whatever God will is just and fair, then I suppose I might submit.

I find the Biblical Old Testament God to be neither just nor fair. I find the New Testament God to be much better over all, but rather questionable in some of the finer details. So, I would not submit to the OT God at all. I might submit to the NT God assuming various points were cleared up.

As far as believing that God is a monster, as has been pointed out, I do not believe the Christian God exists and therefore do not consider Him a monster. Whenever I do make an argument to that effect, it is because I am making a point based on someone else's beliefs and drawing logical conclusions from those beliefs. For example, if someone were to assume that God was an omni-benevolent, omnipotent controller of the universe, it would be logically inconsistent with the fact that pain exists in the universe, etc.

* I'm using "moral being" in the sense that I am capable of possessing morals, good, bad, or indifferent. I am not using it in the sense that I am a upstanding person with good morals.