View Single Post
Old 26th August 2019, 06:35 AM   #4
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Ah, the whole family has given blood. Dad was a WWII Vet, knew the value and ease.

The question was "do they keep the plasma out to separate the NKs later, or do they separate the plasma and put it back in while the donor is on the table?" Sounds like the separation step is probably too complex to do at the phlebotomist's.

But found out that my sibs have already asked the oncologist about me, he says I'm not a good choice due to my health issues. Bro has 4 other first degree relatives. Two are local, two would fly in if needed. Not likely they would need me, but I already emailed my Doc. But Bro is getting down to life-or-death, it's a no-brainer that I would step up.

Apparently even random NKs will help, but the closer the match the better. First step is a gene test for all the potential donors.

I'm not sure if they are concerned about a lowered plasma level causing me grief, or that i may get anxious on the table and cause THEM grief. But I'm pretty stoical, even had a knee replaced without sedation. Local and spinal yes, but I was awake and could FEEL the bone saws and hammers in my ears, more than hear them.

eta: Apparently the DNA study is to check the HLA-DRB1 gene in particular. That is after a rough match of histocomaotaibility HLA-a,b,&c. The HLA-DRB1 match is to avoid Sarcoidosis. Genes is tuff.
Although the machine itself is a bit complex, the donor's role is very simple and pretty much pain free. They put iv's in the donor, the needle pricks being the only things that might conceivably be considered painful. Then they collect the cells and return the plasma to the donor simultaneously as they sit in a chair for 6 to 8 hours. The donor doesn't feel anything except boredom. They never lack for plasma.

I am vey sorry to hear of your brother's situation; I wish him the best!

Last edited by Giordano; 26th August 2019 at 06:36 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top