View Single Post
Old 19th October 2017, 09:43 PM   #256
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
That's what you get when an announcement like that is handled so badly. Announcing that farmers were gong to pay a water tax, without giving any figures or details, and then insulting their intelligence by saying they would sort out the details after the election, was a very stupid thing to do. Politicians were asking for trust when they had done nothing to deserve it. Politicians have a really bad record in this country of *********** over New Zealand's primary producers.

PW, I don't know how old you are but do you remember when the Electricity industry was reformed? The government of the day (National IIRC because it was Max Bradford who did all the damage) guaranteed the New Zealand public that they would never sell the infrastructure. This guarantee came in the form of a deal they called "A Contract Carved in Stone". We'll it was actually written on dunny paper and was flushed down the bog pretty quickly. We ended up with dozens of line companies, some of whom extort their customers ruthlessly....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/8464...-challenge-tlc
I well remember it. I also remember that there was an advert by one of the generation companies (I think Contact) telling us how they were so much more efficient now and were producing power at 4% less cost, all the while putting up the prices almost monthly.

I also agree that they should have come out and given the 1-2c figure at the time, even if they noted that they hadn't determined exactly where that would be between the two. It gave their opponents a lot of ability to attack them whereas had they put it out there at the time, they'd have stopped a lot of speculation and damage. That I actually had to write to the party to get some details was a stupid move on their part.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 19th October 2017 at 09:46 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top