View Single Post
Old 10th January 2022, 09:26 PM   #5
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I'd be interested to see that as the article says there is no evidence he did anything with the materials he stole.
That was the reason for the speculation as to what he wanted. That and he worked for Simon and Schuster, UK as a "rights coordinator", (I believe a low level job though one source identified him as a publishing exec). Impressing his bosses with his knowledge of upcoming deals and/or as yet unpublished manuscripts seems like a possibility. The other is simply he wanted to read the unpublished stuff. I doubt it's the latter.

Irish Times
Quote:
Early knowledge in a rights department could be an advantage for an employee trying to prove his worth. Publishers compete and bid to publish work abroad, for example, and knowing what’s coming, who is buying what and how much they’re paying could give companies an edge.

“What he’s been stealing,” said Kelly Farber, a literary scout, “is basically a huge amount of information that any publisher anywhere would be able to use to their advantage.”
The Guardian
Quote:
Before Bernardini’s arrest, it was widely suspected that the culprit was a literary scout, engaging in industrial espionage. A scout’s currency is advance information: a heads-up on the next big thing can give their clients the edge when it comes to pre-empts and bidding wars on foreign or screen rights. ...
Quote:
... Perhaps the thief’s initial motive was no more sinister than this: he was hungry for a new story. But the longer the scam continued, the more it appears to have become a power game, with the scammer taking evident pleasure in manipulating some of the most senior figures in publishing and later turning abusive when his efforts were met with suspicion.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top