View Single Post
Old 4th March 2012, 05:02 AM   #31
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Since I can't die twice, the latter is better than the former, though the difference is small.
It also depends on the timing of the trips: if I have a 1/1000 chance of dying on my trip today, that's worse than a 1/10000 chance of dying every day from today-ten days from now.

Why? Because not only can I not die twice, but I'd rather die tomorrow than today. On the other hand, if we took the trips in the reverse order (so that the ten trips remain the same, but the 1/1000 chance of dying were to fall ten days from now), then I might make the opposite choice.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top