View Single Post
Old 20th April 2012, 09:14 AM   #202
Mr. Scott
Under the Amazing One's Wing

My Growing Collection of Magic Beans

I've decided to collect magic beans. Aside from the master magic bean of consciousness, we've heard of:

1) The Magic Bean of Smartness.
2) ...of Image Recognition (i.e.enemy hideouts in satellite pics).
3) ...of Creating Fine Art.
4) ...of Understanding (i.e. the Chinese Room experiment)

On #1, it depends on how smartness is defined, but a quick google yields "Characterized by sharp quick thought; bright." That's how I'd describe Watson, though one could argue it doesn't have the Magic Bean of Thought.

On #2, I've worked on many image recognition projects and knew some masters of the craft. Some of the hardest image recognition problems are regularly cracked with neural network simulations. They work!

On #3, I once proposed a program that generated animated cartoons in real time. That's exactly what computer games are doing now, and getting better at it every day. Kids sit and watch self-play mode for hours.

It will be a long time before computers have a shot at achieving the finest of fine art. I don't know how one could argue that they NEVER could (except by invoking the magic bean argument).

On #4, I killed the Chinese Room Experiment in that layman thread and would gladly repost here if anyone's interested.

Last edited by Mr. Scott; 20th April 2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: #4 missed because of phone call
Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top