View Single Post
Old 20th April 2012, 05:03 PM   #207
Mr. Scott
Under the Amazing One's Wing

Originally Posted by Leumas View Post
Your obsession with attributing magic beans (as evinced by your post below) to anyone and everything that is beyond your realm of understanding is a very religionist characteristic you must have retained from your woo days.

Just as when you used to be woo you could not fathom how anyone does not have woo and accordingly you fallaciously attributed to them woo albeit of a type you spurned.

Just like an ex-alcoholic remains forever obsessed with alcohol and struggles with rejecting the temptation on daily basis.

Are you sure this is wise? I think an ex-woo is better off not tempting himself with collecting woo even if it is woo only in his obsessed imagination .
Cute, clever, creative, completely delusional.

The debate reminds me of the year-long one I had with a creationist here, Kleinman.

Like creationists, the anti-computationalists have no evidence for what they believe in and can only throw stones at their opposition.

There's a huge body of evidence supporting the view that the brain is a data processing machine, and no evidence otherwise, AFAIK. As always, you're invited to prove me wrong.

That AI has not yet achieved the touchdown of creating a human-like mind in a machine is not evidence they never will. I've been around long enough to see anti-computationalists run down the field carrying the goal posts away from the AI team again and again. I'm sure that will never end. When AI makes its touchdown, I don't doubt the opposition will only acknowledge the achievement of a Philosopher's Zombie, cognitive dissonance being what it is. At that point, it will no longer matter.

Leumas, if you have positive evidence for whatever it is you believe in regarding the uncomputability of the mind, then share it with us, will you?

And, if you don't like the phrase "magic bean" maybe you can suggest another that appeals to you so we can both use the same name for whatever it is that the brain purportedly has that no machine has without stirring emotions. How's "metaphysical attribute?"

Last edited by Mr. Scott; 20th April 2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typos
Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top