View Single Post
Old 20th April 2012, 07:07 PM   #212
epepke
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rocketdodger View Post
That isn't a full representation of the industry, though.

In fact every place I have worked there is a constant argument between AI programmers on whether we should concentrate on making the AI scriptable, so designers can get the exact presentation they want ( cinematic games like Modern Warfare ) or making the AI very intelligent and organic, so players can experiment with it and get a more real feeling from it ( open world games like Grand Theft Auto 4, sim games like The Sims, and even some FPS games like Half Life 2 or Crysis ).

It usually ends up being a compromise, with us putting in pretty intelligent behavior in some aspects that end up being entirely scripted anyway due to the designers having the final say in the matter. But that doesn't mean the AI doesn't get more and more advanced each time.
You're right. It doesn't mean that's the AI doesn't get more and more advanced each time.

It doesn't mean that it does get more and more advanced each time. If you want to support the idea that it does, I'm all ears.

Now, funny thing is that I myself was thinking about GTA 4. I actually don't find the AI impressive, and it doesn't seem that open-ended to me. Some of the old fantasy RPGs on the Apple II seemed to me more open-ended and in many ways smarter.

"There's no evidence that the 9-11 attacks (whoever did them) were deliberately attacking civilians. On the contrary the targets appear to have been chosen as military."
-DavidByron
epepke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top