View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:13 PM   #237
rocketdodger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by annnnoid View Post
Q: What happens if you invite him in for a coffee?
A: He will fireball you to death.

... snip ...

So can we expect AI ‘personalities’ that reflect the various neurosis of their creators… either individually or collectively?
I have this inexplicable urge to spit a fireball at you.

In all seriousness, though, I would say yes. In this particular case, I have been playing multiplayer FPS games for 18 years ( as long as they have existed, actually ) and I am pretty darn good at every aspect of them. I know that using splash damage is a very powerful learned skill, far more useful for killing an opponent than being able to track a target directly. So when I had an AI handed to me whose weapon did splash damage, I made him fight like I fight.

I don't know of any other AI programmers that have played as much FPS multiplayer as I have. Most of them are more into other types of games, at least all the ones I know personally are. So I wouldn't expect them to make an AI use splash damage -- they don't particularly use splash damage themselves. They would probably beef up the AI logic in other areas, which admittedly might make a better AI in other ways, ways that I wouldn't even consider unless someone brought it up. I am pretty sure there is AI out there that can out-strategize my AI, and AI out there that prioritize targets better, AI that can capture the flag better, and all sorts of other things.

But none of them can use fireballs, rockets, or any other projectile that explodes when it hits things, better than my AI. Probably because none of their programmers can use fireballs, rockets, or any other projectile that explodes on impact, better than me.
rocketdodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top