Thread: [Continuation] The Trump Presidency: Part 19
View Single Post
Old 29th December 2019, 10:35 AM   #86
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I saw an interview with Michael Moore recently where he blamed New York City for inflicting Trump on America. He said everybody in New York knew who and what Trump really was, but instead of slapping him down as a fraud and a crook with mob connections, everybody treated him as an amusing entertainer and fed his fantasies. And now here we are.
I don't agree with that totally but there is a lot of truth in it. Trump was a semi-regular on the Late Show with David Letterman appearing thirty times. But having a regular diet of Trump over the years I think most New Yorkers were wise to him. Back in 2015 I wrote here that I was astounded to see Trump mentioned as being in the running for the 2016 Republican presidential candidacy. I wrote that he had "zero chance."

People in the entertainment business also blame Mark Burnett, the producer of The Apprentice for reinventing and repackaging Trump in a way that explains a lot of his popularity outside New York City. (Trump lost the 2016 vote in NYC by 20-80 and was booed when he arrived to vote at his neighborhood polling station.)

Quote:
“The Apprentice” portrayed Trump not as a skeezy hustler who huddles with local mobsters but as a plutocrat with impeccable business instincts and unparalleled wealth—a titan who always seemed to be climbing out of helicopters or into limousines. “Most of us knew he was a fake,” ["The Apprentice editor Jonathon] Braun told me. “He had just gone through I don’t know how many bankruptcies. But we made him out to be the most important person in the world. It was like making the court jester the king.” Bill Pruitt, another producer, recalled, “We walked through the offices and saw chipped furniture. We saw a crumbling empire at every turn. Our job was to make it seem otherwise.” Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top