Thread: [Continuation] The Trump Presidency: Part 19
View Single Post
Old 29th December 2019, 11:07 AM   #88
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I don't agree with that totally but there is a lot of truth in it. Trump was a semi-regular on the Late Show with David Letterman appearing thirty times. But having a regular diet of Trump over the years I think most New Yorkers were wise to him. Back in 2015 I wrote here that I was astounded to see Trump mentioned as being in the running for the 2016 Republican presidential candidacy. I wrote that he had "zero chance."

People in the entertainment business also blame Mark Burnett, the producer of The Apprentice for reinventing and repackaging Trump in a way that explains a lot of his popularity outside New York City. (Trump lost the 2016 vote in NYC by 20-80 and was booed when he arrived to vote at his neighborhood polling station.)
Here's the link to the full New Yorker story:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...erican-success

Burnett's consulting psychologist said of Trump:
Quote:
“That somebody can become that successful while also being that emotionally undisciplined—it’s so macabre that you have to watch it,” he said. “And you keep waiting for the comeuppance. But it doesn’t come.”
I think part of Moore's point was that there should have been more severe legal consequences for Trump's antics: financial and tax fraud, cheating contractors, hiring illegal workers and violating labor and environmental laws, harassing tenants that he wanted to get rid of, etc. NYC never took him seriously enough to use its available tools against him.

Last edited by Bob001; 29th December 2019 at 11:12 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top