View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:48 AM   #99
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I didn't see that as a comment about you personally, at all. Rather, I saw it as a allegory where the "unjust man" is one political party who won't engage the other in honest negotiations. Now, one could paint the Dems or the GOP in that role depending on one's political perspective but the allegory works just the same.

It is. Even though I've used up my quota of snark in response to some of your comments, I see you as an honest political observer who differs substantially from my view. That should not prevent us from engaging each other. If I've been one who has interfered with such a dialog, I apologize; let's start over.

True, as I said. Try reading it as the allegory I mentioned above rather than as a personal comment about you..
Thank you. I appreciate the insight.

I'd be more inclined to accept the "non-personal allegory" explanation, if it weren't for a couple of things. First, we weren't talking about the parties, or their rhetoric (real and imagined). We were talking about my thoughts on voting for a Democrat. Second, JoeMorgue invoked this party rhetoric trope specifically to dismiss my idea, comparing me to an abusive spouse in the process. Other members then started riffing on that theme.

So it seems to me that it was a strawman, deployed to dismiss my idea, insult me to my face, and shout down any attempt at discussion.

Tyr gets a minor pass because apparently he has me on soft ignore, and just doesn't trust me anyway.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top