View Single Post
Old 21st August 2009, 06:35 AM   #89
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
There's so much about this affair to go hmmmmm about, even though that isn't one of them. It's very difficult to distinguish the genuine anomalies and questionable actions from the barnacle-like CT accretion that tends to grow on to any affair like this over the years.

It really needs someone like Gravy to do a detailed examination of which claims actually have evidence supporting them, and I don't think that's ever been done. Much more diffcult when the main events happened pre-internet I suppose. I keep hearing isolated factoids, like a babygro that was allegedly recovered intact but shredded later, and a policewoman being told not to report that she'd found a CIA badge in the wreckage, and a suitcase full of powder that was handed to the authorities but never referred to again, and I don't know how much of this is Chinese whispers and how much based on fact.

Much speculation surrounds the document that the defence team have been trying to get the prosecution to disclose, which has repeatedly been refused on the grounds that it contains material that might damage our relationship with a foreign power. Despite the court ordering it to be produced, I don't think that ever happened.

I don't think it's being ridiculous to speculate that Megrahi may have been pressurised to withdraw his appeal (as the price of getting the compassionate release) in order to prevent that document having to be handed over.

Rolfe.
The stuff about the CIA badge is in the report about the appeal - under grounds which were not accepted.
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top