View Single Post
Old 20th November 2011, 07:08 PM   #84
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
If it's all decided, then there's obviously no such thing as free will, plus it ruins watching sports.
Which would make the Baby Jesus cry. (I'm guessing He bet Denver against the Jets ...)
Originally Posted by edge View Post
God's power is such that whatever He has decided to do, that is what will be done. God tells us that He has designed a plan that will be implemented because no one (not man nor angel) has the power to thwart or withstand His purpose.
Edge, here's a mental puzzle for you.

One model/explanation of God holds Him to be omnipresent. (Was, is, shall be). Any being who is beyond time as you and I experience it probably doesn't need to plan, since a plan is how you deal with the future.
God in the above model has no need to consider the future.

Perhaps your idea is that we more limited beings need a plan, which He doesn't. As a few above have noted, this leads pretty frequently into predestination: what's the point of predestination, beyond an excuse not to make a decision?

Your life is the record of the choices you make, and also about choices others make that influence you.
Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
Today i'm gonna watch some more football, take a nap, study for a psychology exam, go to a show, and get drunk, in accordance with God's plan.
I didn't get drunk, which given how the Cowboys played today is a win for me. Saw a show last night, and walked out at intermission.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring?
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis

Last edited by Darth Rotor; 20th November 2011 at 07:11 PM.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top