View Single Post
Old 12th January 2021, 12:17 PM   #299
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm proposing that if you have no good reason to think your god exists, then you have no good reason to wager on it. And if you do have a good reason to think your god exists, then you have no good reason to wager on it.
Sort of. But that's why Pascal went for probabilities maths rather than binary true or false.

If you go for binary true or false, sure, Pascal's maths doesn't add anything to that. Pascal's trick of multiplying by infinity does make some sense (as a handwaving device, at least) if he can get you to say something like, "eh, I can't prove that God doesn't exist, but let's say I'm 99.99% sure he doesn't." Ah-ha! But then you leave a 0.01% chance for God to exist, and 0.01% times infinity is infinity! So you should bloody believe in God.