View Single Post
Old 25th November 2012, 01:54 AM   #63
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

I too used to make the mistake of putting all of philosophy into one category. Turns out, not all philosophy is this obscurantist, pretentions mumbo jumbo that self amuses itself in a nonsensical game of rhetorics. There's actually very interesting philosophy that is based on evidence and on actual scientific experiments, such as the philosphy of Daniel Dennett. If you have not checked out Dennett, I suggest you do immediately. If you have, I suggest you don't forget about him and try not to be unfair to philosophy, and remember some philosophy is actually as engaging, educational and profound as science.

That aside, Carl Sagan, Neil Degrasse Tyson and Richard Feynman were some of the scientists who didn't simply preach science but rather expressed it in a rather philosophical way. It would be fair to say they were as much philosophers as they were scientists, for they didn't limit to explain why things were, but also added their own personal visions on why they were, and extrapolated from that what other things could also be and why.

And now, some Daniel Dennett:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top