View Single Post
Old 25th November 2012, 10:38 AM   #78
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Atwill View Post
I wasn't claiming them to be equal or similar in any way other than all of them being philosophy, which they are. Every single scientific axiom, for example, is a philosophical one as well.

It's not that I don't get Ape's (and other people's) frustration with sophistry and vacuous babble, but detesting philosophy based on those annoyances seems a bit bizarre to me, given that you couldn't even articulate a coherent argument against vacuous babble without employing some form of philosophy.
So they're not equal or similar but they're all the same thing, philosophy? There's a bit of a contradiction there.

These all inclusive claims that "it's all philosophy" become tiring and repetitive and well show the overweening presumption of most philosophers, they're saying "You can't even argue with us without using philosophy and since we're philosophers we automatically win the argument".
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top