View Single Post
Old 1st August 2019, 02:44 PM   #150
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
My understanding is that Congress can initiate investigations, with broad subpoena powers, at will. They can call witnesses, compel disclosures, and do a bunch of other stuff to get more facts and information, without necessarily having to do it in the form of impeachment proceedings.
It's my understanding that Trump has gone out of his way to get refuse or deny every subpoena, including those to his aides, lawyers, etc. So, then what?

So I don't currently buy the idea that they have to impeach to find out whether they have a basis for impeachment.
Good, I didn't say they HAD to do a damn thing. I said they would get a lot more information if they did as it becomes a legal procedure. Again, as I understand it.

I think they could probably open preliminary investigations to get the info they need, and then impeach (or not) once they have that info.
Is that not part of "impeachment proceedings"? Maybe I'm confused but I picked those words for a reason.

But I could be wrong on this, and would welcome correction from someone who knows better than I.
You and I both, sir. You and I both.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top