View Single Post
Old 11th November 2019, 07:48 PM   #2311
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Is anyone else sensing that the era of political campaign "implosions" is probably mostly over?

I think the internet has maybe killed CNN/MSNBC/ABC's ability to determine 90% (or whatever) of political reality and make things like the Howard Dean "scream" a death sentence for a candidate.

I think the super-high-information voter demographic, while still extremely small relative to low-info people, has probably skyrocketed, too. (maybe from one in 300 people before, to maybe one in 40 people now? Something like that? Enough for them to have some influence now?)

Something seems to have happened, though. Maybe the echo chambers have just make the public functionally stupider, or most people much more biased. Or maybe it was firing up the Large Hadron Collider at CERN that ripped a hole in spacetime, and so everything is just kinda shifted into the 5th dimension a tad now.

I dunno, but I don't see Biden "imploding" unless something actually extreme and extremely unlikely happens.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan

Last edited by kellyb; 11th November 2019 at 07:49 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top