View Single Post
Old 28th June 2020, 01:25 PM   #108
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
.... I agree, and I wouldn't say kids aren't spreading it, but the evidence appears pretty solid that they're an insignificant vector.
"At the moment, early data suggests" is quite different from "pretty solid".

This is older and may have been posted already but the points I've bolded are examples of things to keep in mind when drawing conclusions: New coronavirus studies say sending kids back to school would be a major risk
Quote:
... One study even showed that asymptomatic children may have viral loads as high as kids or adults showing symptoms, which could mean they’re just as contagious. ...

... The first study involved research from China and Italy and was published in Science. The scientists found that children were a third as susceptible to coronavirus infections as adults, but they had three times as many contacts as adults when the schools were opened. The study looked at two different cities: Wuhan and Shanghai. ...

The Times also mentions a third study from the Dutch government that says “patients under 20 years play a much smaller role in the spread than adults and the elderly.” But researchers have pointed out that the study has a serious flaw. It looked at household transmission, and the researchers may have tested only those people experiencing more severe cases, which would be overwhelmingly adults.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top