View Single Post
Old 20th September 2017, 12:45 AM   #93
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
(There are actually a few studies on what, given all these common symptoms, triggers people to seek medical attention. But I digress.)
So do I then, but I was wondering: Women appear to seek professional medical attention for their ailments much more frequently than men, at least in my country, so could that be the reason why women seem to be much more prone to mass hysteria (I don't know about mass psychogenic illness) than men? - with shrinking penis syndrome being one of the exceptions!

It also occurs to me that the way the case of the alleged sonic attack victims is handled right now will only serve to prolong the outbreak:
Quote:
Some responses by authorities to MPI are not appropriate. Intense media coverage seems to exacerbate outbreaks. Once it is determined that the illness is psychogenic, it should not be given credence by authorities. For example, in the Singapore factory case study, calling in a medicine man to perform an exorcism seemed to perpetuate the outbreak
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_p...e_to_outbreaks
which is also what happened in Denmark with the HPV vaccine scare mentioned above.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 20th September 2017 at 01:03 AM.
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top